Marriage Information

The Town Clerk/Registrar's Office issues marriage licenses. Persons wishing to obtain a license must file their intentions with the Town Clerk/Registrar's Office in person (except for in cases where one person is in the military or incarcerated) at least three days before the ceremony. The cost of filing for a marriage license in Randolph is $25.00. The license is valid for sixty days, and may be used for a ceremony conducted in any Massachusetts city or town. Couples must know the date of their ceremony when they come to file their intention. 
Persons seeking a marriage license must be at least eighteen years old or have a court order providing for an exception.
The Randolph Town Clerk also is a Justice of the Peace and has the legal authority to perform marriage ceremonies. Those desiring a civil ceremony should contact the Town Clerk in advance of the date of the ceremony.
How to Obtain a Marriage License in Massachusetts
(This information is courtesy of the Randolph Town Clerk/Registrar's Office and William F. Galvin, Secretary of the Commonweath)
All people who marry in Massachusetts must have a marriage license issued in Massachusetts. An out-of-state license cannot be used. This outlines the procedures you must follow to obtain the license.
FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)
How do we apply for a marriage license?
You must both apply in person for a marriage license. The Randolph Town Clerk/Registrar's Office is open Monday's 8:30am - 7:00pm, Tuesday thru Friday 8:30am- 4:30pm. This requirement is applicable to both residents and non-residents of the Commonwealth. According to Massachusetts law, you must jointly file intentions to marry, and you may do so with the city or town clerk in any community in the state. If a person is in the military, intentions may be filed by either party, providing one is a Massachusetts resident. If a person is incarcerated in a county house of correction or a state correctional facility, intentions may be filed by either party. A marriage license, once obtained, is valid for 60 days from the date intentions are filed and may be used in any Massachusetts city or town. It is not valid outside the state.
Is there a waiting period from the date of application to the date the license is issued?
Yes, there is a mandatory three-day waiting period. While Sundays and holidays are included in the three days, the day the application is made is not. For example, if you apply on Friday, your license will be issued on or after Monday.
May we marry before the three days for good reason?
Yes, if you can obtain a court waiver after filing intentions. According to MGL Ch. 207:30, if both parties are residents, or non-residents, or one of each, and they need to dispense with the three days, they may do so by applying to the judge of a probate or district court to have the license issued without delay, after filing intentions with the clerk.
How do we obtain a waiver?
You should file your intentions first with the town clerk. Then an application for a waiver must be filed by both of you at a probate or district court. After a hearing, the court may issue a certificate allowing the marriage license to be issued, and the marriage performed without delay.
What is the cost of a marriage license?
The fee to file a marriage license in Randolph is $25. Certified copies of the marriage license are $10 each.
At what age may a person marry?
A Massachusetts resident may marry if he or she is 18 years of age or older. A birth certificate or photo identification may be required to show proof of age.
What if one or both of us is under 18?
If either party is under 18, a court order from a probate or district court where the minor resides must be obtained before the marriage intentions can be filed.
Is a medical certificate required before a license can be issued?
No, Massachusetts Law no longer requires medical certificates..
What if one or both of us had been divorced?
You are not required to present a divorce certificate when filing intentions to marry. However, it is extremely important that an individual who has been divorced be certain that his/her divorce is absolute. If you are uncertain as to the absolute date of your divorce, you should contact the court where the divorce was granted. In Massachusetts, a divorce does not become absolute until 90 days after the divorce nisi has been granted, regardless of the grounds for divorce.
Is there any special requirement for a widow or widower who is remarrying?
Do we need any witnesses present at the ceremony?
Massachusetts statute does not require that witnesses be present at your ceremony. However, if a member of the clergy performs the ceremony, you should ensure that you are in conformity with the appropriate religious tenets.
What are the responsibilities of the member of the clergy or the justice of the peace?
The member of the clergy or justice of the peace must complete and sign the original license and return it to the clerk of the city or town where the license was issued. The Randolph Town Clerk is a justice of the peace in Massachusetts. Those desiring a civil ceremony should contact the Town Clerk in advance of the date of the ceremony at (781) 961-0900.
What should be done if an out-of-state member of the clergy or a person not already recognized by the State is to perform the marriage?
If an out-of-state member of the clergy or a person not recognized by the State, is to perform the marriage, that person must obtain a Certificate of Authorization from the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to the ceremony. This certificate, which is issued by the Public Records Division of the Secretary of the Commonwealth, is to be attached to the original license and returned to the clerk of the city or town where the license was issued. For further information, please visit the Secretary of State's website.
When performing a wedding within Randolph at one of our outdoor venues, please contact the Recreation Department for permission at 781-961-0930 or Recreation Park InformationPlease make sure to use one of the following addresses when filling out the place of marriage on the marriage certificate:
Powers Farm- 592 North Main Street
The Williams Gazebo- 200 North Street
Are there any special requirements if one applicant is an immigrant?
If either of the parties has arrived as an immigrant from a foreign country within five days, the application may be filed at any time before the marriage, and the certificate shall be issued at any time after the filing.
Where can we go for additional assistance?
You may contact the Randolph Town Clerk/Registrar's Office at (781) 961-0900, or: